School "friends pages"
Short, concise description of the idea
Create friends page views for schools listed in the Schools Directory, similar to the friends views of individual users.
Full description of the idea
The Schools Directory of LJ is awesome, rad and fun, and I'm not just saying that because I volunteer in keeping it clean. ;) It can be a lot of fun to browse through your old schools, your friends' schools, your parents' schools, schools that are in your area or schools that you're thinking of attending. You get to see what kinds of people are in there and, in many cases, read in their journals entries related to their studies and the school. It can be a cool way to hear small things about the place or get a feel of it, or for people like me, just read pointless interesting stuff about people's lives at school.
Now, as you might have guessed, I do love browsing the Schools Directory in this way. But it gets a little tedious that every time I want to read the entries of people attending a school, I have to go to each journal individually. So I thought, wouldn't it be cool if schools in the directory had their own "friends views", similar to users', where the recent public entries of the people who list the school could be viewed on one page? (And I went, yes it would be cool. And some others went oooh. So I came and submitted it here.)
Bonus points if the feature were expanded so that you could also filter by years to view the entries of those who currently attend the school, those who attended in 1980, or those who attended between 1993-1996.
(Extra brownie bonus points if the feature were expanded to cover ALL search features, so that locations and such would also have their own friends views, but I'm starting small with schools here.)
- Fun and interesting way to view what the students of a given school are up to lately
- Eliminates the need to look up each student's entries separately
- Might create more of a "community feel" on LiveJournal for students
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- May need an entirely new system for generating the friends view
- Possible database load issues for larger schools
- Developer time and resources need to be spent
- Friends view for fictional schools might be considered a little pointless
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- Either adapt the existing friends view tech to schools, or create a new infrastructure to pull the entries