Hire a Technical Writer
Short, concise description of the idea
Hire a contract or full-time technical writer to consolidate, rationalize, and generally improve the Help available to users.
Full description of the idea
The Help system is one of the most frustrating I have ever encountered, with some information siloed in one area (FAQs), some in another (How-To), with confusing or non-existent links between the two. The tutorials are not tutorials (they don't provide the actual step-by-step instructions to complete tasks), and the information in them is partially useful at best (I could cite numerous examples, but telling me in the S2 documentation that something is similar to an aspect of S1 is not helpful). Finally, given the availability of HTML help authoring systems these days, there's no reason why the Help couldn't be a link that opens a separate file that enables users to view the Help contents while also having their appropriate journal page open.
Full disclosure: I'm a professional technical writer, and I'm looking for work.
- Improved overall user experience
- Improved use of all LJ functionality
- Fewer customer service requests
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- You will have to hire somebody to do this work
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- Put an ad on craigslist (or hire me), find someone with experience in working with online applications who knows how to write Help systems in RoboHelp or a similar app, and set them to work uravelling the spaghetti that is the current Help system.