Year-only birthdate display option in profile
Short, concise description of the idea
Add "display year only" option to the birthdate display/hide control.
Full description of the idea
In many cases, maintainers and moderators of age-restricted communities use the birthdate (as displayed in the profile) to decide whether to approve a membership request. However, in most cases, the birth year is all that's needed, and it would be a nice counterpart to the "show month and day" existing option.
Using the birthdate provided to LiveJournal at account creation for that profile item, instead of claiming a birthyear (or age) in the bio section, guarantees that the data is as trustworthy than the complete birthdate would be, as it comes from the same source.
Note: this is similar to http://community.livejournal.com/suggestions/500740.html, but better, as it wouldn't assume specific minimum ages that wouldn't necessarily cover all cases.
- People who want to join age-restricted communities, but would rather not have their birthday celebrated get equal treatment with people who want their birthday marked but don't want others to know how old they are.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- People having just reached whatever minimum age applies would still need to display their whole birthdate.
- Some community maintainers may not trust the "year only" display and insist on the whole birthdate even in cases where the year is enough.
- Users need to understand what that option does and care enough to select it if desired. :-)
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- Add a "show year only" to the birthdate display options (currently "hide all", "show month and day only", and "show all").