A better table editing tool in the rich text editor
Short, concise description of the idea
Aside from the rich-text editor for updating being able to change the color and size of text, it should also be able to change the color of a table, the color of the cell and the width of the lines (if any).
Full description of the idea
There is already an existing tabel creation tool. However, the tables made by this tool only loads a table with an automatic color and width of the lines and these settings can not be changed. Ever. I think the pop-up menu that is already present that sets the width of the rows and length of the columns must also have options for line sizw, line color, line style, cell color etc.
- The ability to actually lay out text in a table (like in an HTML website) without seeing the lines (like what is currently present)
- The ability to make tables with no borders (so the table runs smoothly with the post itself
- Full customizability of tables
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Updates will most probably be put on a halt for a short period of time
- Added programming on what seems to be an engine used for rich text formatting (some sites use a system of text editing similar to the one in LiveJournal)
- Laying out the option panes in the menus can result in long loading time for the menu, not to mention the menu looking too cumbersome when shown
- Interfacing the commands for the table from rich text to the script used by LiveJournal will involve some more programming, because tables are usually not posted as-is
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- The rich text editor used in the update function must be changed to accomodate this suggestion
- Update clients might have to do the same thing, if they support tables