Add More Color Schemes for Site Scheme Pages
Short, concise description of idea
Color-shift the existing graphics for XColibur and Dystopia to provide a small number of additional colors: red, orange, yellow, green, purple, etc. Keep the LiveJournal logo the same, which would require some extra work.
Full description of the idea
Shift the color tones of existing XColibur/Dystopia graphics to different web-safe colors (red, orange, yellow, green, purple, etc.). Provide a small list of color schemes and preview graphics for Dystopia and XColibur, linked from the Browse Options page. Many users would like additional colors; limiting color choices to system-chosen, web-safe colors would make sure that the navigation remains legible, and that the LiveJournal Logo remains intact. There could even be a poll for additional color choices beyond the basic light tone/dark tone.
Also, provide some high-contrast color schemes, usable with any site scheme, with different text colors and background colors (light gray background, black text; black background, white text, etc.) This would benefit users with vision problems, but would require more work.
An ordered list of benefits
- Users could see LiveJournal in their favorite colors.
- Continued legibility
- Better accessiblity
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Time to create the additional graphics
- Additional interface options
- Users might want to pick their own colors
- Possibly weakening LiveJournal branding?
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- Find graphics and color shift them.
- Decide on additional high-contrast color schemes, and provide additional CSS files
- Add more options and preview graphics to the Browse Options page.
- Optionally, create a poll to see what color combinations people like.
- Document, announce, etc.