Support for Google Sitemaps/Verification
Short, concise description of the idea
To enable uploading a verification file/sitemap to the root of http://username.livejournal.com so that users can customise the behaviour of their site in Google.
Full description of the idea
To customise the behaviour of a site in Google and see detailed statistics for it, owners of a site must first verify their ownership of that site by uploading a blank html file with name of the form google????????????????.html to the root of their site. Then, they may upload a file called robots.txt to customise whether specific pages in that site are indexed by Google's spiders.
I propose that LiveJournal have a user interface that allows users (possibly could be built into the File Manager for paid accounts) to upload, create and/or edit these files so that they have control over how their journal is indexed by Google's service.
- Users have access to detailed statistics on their journals
- Users have control over Google's indexing of their journal
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Creation of user interface
- Investigation of possible security risks
- Possibly need way to ensure that uploaded/created files only function in the way intended
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- Requires creation of an upload/file creation/file editing page, possibly built into File Manager and similar to PGP/GPG key page.
- May require the checking of any created file to ensure that no security holes are created (if only robots.txt is edited, and verification file is created, this shouldn't be an issue)