Give some personality hints in interests search results
Short, concise description of the idea
Current interests search listings display only the person's name, journal name, and time since last update. I propose also including data like a bio snippet or some interests to get a better snapshot of who the person is.
Full description of the idea
The two ways I've brainstormed of giving "personality hints" use data already available in the user's profile. To re-hash them more specifically, they are:
* Show a bio snippet - this would probably be impossible because of the varied structure of profiles.
* Select ten (or so) interests at random. Perhaps a filter could be designed, excluding common interests.
- It might make the interests search a useful way of finding friends. As it is, if the user icon isn't a red flag, I have to check their profile.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Getting the interests for every user in the results could be taxing on the server or slow for users. For the speed, I suspect it be a problem for the 20 (?) returned by the current interests.bml, but what if it's changed?
- Will this produce useful information for a majority of the users? For example, what percentage have no interests, few interests, or extremely common interests?
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- The code for grabbing interests is already in place, so use those functions. If that's too slow, some type of caching system could be created to prevent having so many database connections. This is perhaps ugly, but a bot could go through about once every week and change which interests will be used, storing them as a property of the user.