Allow Original Poster to manage comment threading
Short, concise description of the idea
Due to the fact that people sometimes mistake "Reply to this" for "Post new comment" and vice versa, along with other occasional eccentricities in the commenting code, it would be useful if the author of a comment could move a comment when it obviously belongs in another thread.
Full description of the idea
It sometimes happens that, for one reason or another, a comment to an entry will be posted in the wrong thread. Currently there is no way to remedy this except for the poster of the comment to delete it and recreate it in the right thread. I propose that the original poster of each entry be given the tools to move comments to that entry into their proper threads, much as they currently have the freedom to freeze, screen, and delete comments now.
- Increased organization of comments
- Fewer comments which ought to contribute to discussions but are instead ignored because they were accidentally posted in the wrong place
- Decreased user annoyance
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Possibility for abuse - original posters deliberately moving comments to the wrong threads
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- The tool would be fairly simple--an additional button beside the Freeze, Screen, and Delete buttons currently found on each entry. This would be a Move button; when selected, the user could then click on an existing comment (or the original entry). The comment would then become a "reply-to" the object clicked.
- As with any tool, this carries the possibility of abuse; however, I don't think this risk is higher than for the tools already in place, and I believe the benefits outweigh the risks. This risk could be mitigated by also giving the comment poster access to this tool.