character counter in web interface
Short, concise description of the idea
Create a character counter embedded in the update-journal page, so that one could see how many characters remain available as one types an entry.
Full description of the idea
I recently discovered the hard way that posts have a size limit of 65,535 characters or bytes. There wasn't a "your post is too big" warning, it just ate everything in my post past 65,535 characters when I saved it. I was wondering if it would be possible to create a character counter embedded in the update-journal page, so that one could see how much space is left without requiring a warning or error message.
- Prevents data past the 65,535 limit from being deleted without warning
- Could also be useful for those in the NaNoWriMo program
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Some might prefer the character limit appear as words rather than characters, which would require writing in more options
- Some might feel it clutters up the page, or is distracting to see the counter going out of the corner of the eye
- Script involved might take up resources and slow down page
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- It would be good to offer two options: counting up from zero to 65,535; counting down from 65,535 to zero.
- It might also be good to have a hide/unhide option (maybe could be turned on/off in the user preferences, rather than a drop-down on the page?)
- Locate it beside the "insert" drop-down at the top of the entry box?
- Maybe include an option to display the limit in words rather than characters?