show full list of friends in mode=full
Short, concise description of the idea
Treat long Friends: lists (over 500) like Friends Of: in userinfo - truncate by default, and show the entire list if people click on "more detail"
Full description of the idea
I've had over 500 friends for years, and it's frustrating not to be able to see the list on my userinfo. It also means other people are less likely to see connections by looking for bolded names. The directory search link is not a useful replacement. Not only can't free users see it at all, but paid users won't get much benefit from it anyway, since it shows an effectively random and small subset of my friends list. I don't want a directory search, I just want a list of names.
- Fewer unneccessary uses of the LJ directory
- Consistency: Users with >500 friends will have userinfo that most people are used to
- Better community feature: Seeing bolded names on other people's userinfo pages, particularly if they hide Friends Of
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- I've heard it said that the reason LJ doesn't show friends lists over 500 long is to reduce load. Truncating the lists the way Friends Of: is handled should deal with that problem, since LJ would by default be displaying "short" friends lists, with an ellipsis linking to the detail page. People would only click on that when they actually wanted to see the full list. The database load of showing the full list must be less than that from doing and displaying a directory search, so this should be a net win, I think (since userinfo would no longer be encouraging people to click on a directory search link if they want to see someone's friends list).
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- The only thing that needs to be changed is the userinfo page. Have it treat long Friends lists as it treads Friends Of, instead of replacing Friends: with a (useless) directory search link.