Eliminate "Hide 'Friend of' list" option
Short, concise description of the idea
Remove the "Hide 'Friend of' list" option from editinfo.bml
Full description of the idea
This option exists because you may not wish for users whose usernames you dislike, or who you don't wish to be associated with, to appear on your "Friend of:" or "Also friend of:" list. However, the option dates back from a time before it was possible to suppress users from appearing on your "Friend of:" list by banning them. Thus, the option is no longer strictly necessary and creates confusion among users about what information on LiveJournal is truly public -- i.e., users may write outside scripts that expose this information, causing others to become upset because they falsely believed that the information was private.
- Simplifies editinfo.bml
- Security by obscurity doesn't work
- It's good usability design to have as few options in "preferences" sections as possible
- Lessens confusion about what information is public and what information is private (when people find out that information they thought was private, isn't, it decreases their level of trust in LiveJournal)
- Encourages users to display information about themselves (this is a social site, and displaying social information is a good thing)
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Users may be upset that they have to ban other users to prevent them from appearing on their userinfo pages
- Users who think that the "Hide 'Friend of'" option is a privacy option (rather than a display option, which is what it is) may be upset that they no longer have this option
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- Just remove the code for this from editinfo.bml. Making it easier to ban users might also be desirable (i.e., clicking on a link from their userinfo), but is not strictly necessary.