Increase limit on friends
Short, concise description of the idea
Currently the maximum number of users you can friend is 750. Increase the limit.
Full description of the idea
There is no limit on the number of users that can friend someone, however if the number of 'friends of' exceeds 750, the user will not be able to friend some of them.
Previously, the user had the opportunity of creating a separate secondary account, friending anyone s/he wanted if s/he reached the limit on the primary account. Then s/he would be able to read both public and protected entries while logged into primary account on the secondary account's friends page, if users listed the primary account in friends.
Now, however, the user would not be able to read protected entries via the secondary account due to the recent changes. The user could attempt to convince some 'friends of' to add the secondary account to friends as well (which may not work very well - who wants to add an empty journal? ;)), and then would need to log in/log out every time.
Another alternative would be to visit each of the remaining 'friends of's' individual journals to read, which is inconvenient (understatement of the week ;)).
There is a possibility of abuse, and even as it is there are so-called 'serial-adders', who friend many users up to the limit for no other reason than to annoy them. Maybe there could be some sort of a check of the number of 'friends of', whereby it would not be allowed to add more than 750 users (current limit) unless there are over 750 'friends of' or something like that (numbers may vary ;)). Serial adders are unlikely to get everyone to friend them, since they aim to annoy, and users don't friend someone who annoys them. On the other hand, legitimate users can get many more 'friends of'. This would permit users with legitimate purposes to read journals of people who friended them.
- Users with over 750 'friends of' would be able to add all 'friends of' to their friends.
- They will be able to read the protected entries they are allowed to see on the friends page, rather than having to go to individual journals.
- They will not need a separate account to friend users, attempt to convince some to friend this secondary account, and later switch between accounts to read the entries.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Serial-adders, which I covered above.
- Not many users would need it, as not many have over 750 friends (yet some do, and much more).
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- Increase the limit on adding friends.
- Optionally, set up a check on the number of 'friends of', to disallow adding over 750 unless there are over 750 'friends of'.