Allow opt-out from Nudge feature
Short, concise description of the idea
Allow people to opt-out from the "nudge" feature (http://www.livejournal.com/friends/nudge.bml), thus blocking all nudge emails they would otherwise receive.
Full description of the idea
The new nudge feature allows you to generate an email through the LiveJournal system "nudging" your friend to post an entry, if they haven't for awhile. Some people may not wish to receive such emails, and should have the ability to opt out from receiving them.
- Provides flexibility with a new option
- Provides consistency with other opt-out options such as the "latest" feeds
- Enables users to choose to continue receiving no email from LiveJournal whatsoever, if they choose
- Defriending someone to avoid receiving their emails (the only current workaround) may not be ideal, since the Friends relationship is so overloaded. For example, you may wish to cease considering the user your Friend, but you may still wish to Watch their posts and/or Trust them to read your protected posts.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- It has been argued that restricting this feature to just friends is sufficient, and that if you don't want to get emails from someone, you should de-friend them
- Of course, an opt-out mechanism would have to be coded
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- Enable a console command such as "set nudge_opt_out 1" that successfully blocks nudging emails
- Perhaps remove the nudge.bml "nudge them" link for your friends who have opted out