Embedding google maps.
Short, concise description of the idea
An lj tag like <lj-map width=x height=y loc="some address, coords, or location"> that would embed a google map in your post/comment.
Full description of the idea
This page lists easy instructions for embedding maps:
It would be cool to have a tag that would allow us to embed maps in our posts/comments for giving direction or adding details to posts without having do a screen capture of google maps and linking the image. Eventually the ability to do to/from directions or other cool map related features would also be nice.
- It makes providing directions or including satelite imagery in images a lot easier.
- Once the basic map display api is in place other features could easily be added like friends locations, the ability to draw a path to give people directions (like when describing a race path or hiking path) instead of the to/from search.
- Like with Flickr, the abilty to tag scrap book images or posts to locations for travel logs.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Writing the lexical analizer script to take the lj tag and convert it to the google map search.
- How will text based browsers like lynx handle it?
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- I think it should work similar to the img html tag, where you can specify the alignment in the post, the size, etc.