Turn mode=live back on
Short, concise description of the idea
As announced in this week's Site Changes Update (in featureannounce), Live Mode for friends pages is being turned off. This is a sad loss, and it's my opinion that it should be turned back on (or, since it hasn't quite stopped working yet, not be turned off at all).
Full description of the idea
Live Mode is accomplished by adding mode=live to the end of the /friends url (there's a discussion of it in the lj_nifty communty). This then refreshes your friends page when there are new posts (or every 10 minutes) saving the auto-refreshing of habitual LJ fiends and assuring you the freshest LJ experience.
Only it's getting turned off, according to featureannounce. This is a grave mistake, and I beg suggestions, and all who sail in her, to aid me in my mission to get it turned back on again.
- Mode=live is a very nifty feature
- People who used to use live mode won't miss it any more if it gets returned
- Live mode reduces strain on the server since mode=live refreshes the page only when there are new posts (or every 10 minutes). This is less strain than, say, refreshing every two minutes "just in case" when there are no new posts
- Sure, we could hit "refresh" over and over again, or use a client that tells us when there have been updates to our friends list, but that adds an extra layer of complication into issues: mode=live kept it simple and all in one place
- These, plus all the reasons mode=live was created in the first place
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- There is probably a reason it's getting turned off. Though no-one has said what it is.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- Find changelog post including change that has turned off mode=live
- reverse change