tag auto-complete backend
Short, concise description of the idea
auto-complete tags so that duplicates are not made.
Full description of the idea
The tags feature of my blog is awesome! It's really easy to categorize and filter using tags.
Sometimes, though. I forget that I've named my tags differently. e.g. domain name vs. domain-name.
Under the current tagging system, LJ would think that they are two different tags when, in fact, they are one.
I think a design similar to google suggestion (http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en) where the tags "pop-up" as you type. (This is otherwise known as "auto-complete")
This is done on most e-mail programs now (like thunderbird) and makes it really easy to select tags that are already available.
I would think that clients could hack this now and do some magic to make it kind of work. But, again, I still think some sort of tagging backend is needed to draw the list of keywords.
- Quickly access current tags and select a previous tag instead of creating a duplicate with a different spelling.
- Already implemented in other applications. Gives user a familiar UI and wouldn't neccessarily need to learn anything new.
- Clients adding this feature to their programs should be fairly straightforward, since, again, it's implemented in other application.
- users could still add new tags
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Creating the backend will not be easy. Google suggest works by sending a request every time a character is typed. This might increase bandwidth usage.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- I'm not a GUI programmer so I don't know how the clients will do this. But in terms of a back-end, I think doing something like a quick query/search would do the trick.