Privacy for maintainers of closed communities.
Short, concise description of the idea
Allow maintainers of closed communities to keep their identities from non-members.
Full description of the idea
A recent change made maintainer information for all communities visible on the community info page. While this makes sense for communities with open or moderated membership, as would-be members may need to contact maintainers for questions related to the community, or if they're having problems joining it, it doesn't really makes sense for closed communities, since people can only join if invited, not by applying for membership.
This change would optionally restore the status quo ante by letting maintainers of closed communities decide whether to reveal themselves to non-members. Members would always see that info, much as everyone does currently, and everyone would see that info for open or moderated-membership communities.
This would benefit mostly communities where exposing maintainers' identities to non-members may cause harm to the community as a whole, eg. communities geared toward mutual support for abuse victims.
- Continued protection of maintainers' privacy (at their option) for communities which allowed it before the change (ie, closed communities).
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Make it slightly harder for LiveJournal support to point a former member of a closed community to the maintainers, if the user didn't make a note of the maintainers before losing or renouncing membership.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- Add a value to community membership status, meaning "closed membership, only members can see maintainers". The meaning of the current "closed membership" value would change to "closed membership, maintainers identities not confidential".
- Add a field to the community settings change form (either a checkbox active only for closed communities, or an extra radio button for the Membership group).
- Add code to the community info display page to check for community settings and membership before including maintainer list.