Allow tags on all page views
Short, concise description of the idea
Tags should be available on the month view and reply page of S2 styles, to allow more flexibility for style designers.
Full description of the idea
At the moment, tags are not available on the YearPage, MonthPage, or ReplyPage. This means that even with a custom style, it's not possible to include entry tags in those pages. This seems to be a more or less arbitrary restriction on how S2 layouts display the tags.
- More options available for users to customize the look of their journal in S2.
- No need for everybody to follow a particular aesthetic for the different views determined by the powers that be.
- Ability to make all page views consistent. Eg many people like the reply page to match the entry page exactly.
- The month page already displays the post subjects, so it's calling the Entry class anyway. It can also be customized to display other metadata, namely the mood and music, so why not tags as well?
- Easier to see quickly which entries are tagged by looking at the month view.
- Ability to sort the month view by tags, for example to see all posts on a given topic in a given month.
- Tags are good! They allow a lot of possibilities for people who are knowledgeable about S2 and this simple change would introduce a whole lot more scope.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Extra data to load, according to the post I linked to.
- Not relevant to the great majority of users who don't know how to customize S2 or care about this kind of thing. (Though of course if tags on all page views were possible they could potentially be implemented into system styles.)
- The developers seem to think that tags on MonthPage are not appropriate (see linked post).
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- Change S2 Core.
get_tags_textmembers of the relevant page views.
$e.tagsshould be possible in that context.
- Since ReplyPage and EntryPage share most of the same code, adding tag support to ReplyPage should be trivial.
- I don't quite know how tags could be added to YearPage, but I expect it would be a similar sort of approach.