Language attribute for entries
Short, concise description of the idea
In a multi-lingual journal or community, it should be possible to indicate in which language an entry is written.
Full description of the idea
While it is easy enough for a person without disabilities to distinguish between posts in different languages, some have difficulty doing that. Think, for example, a person that cannot see well enough to read, and thus uses a screen reader for browsing the web. The screen reader will attempt to read all entries as if they were in the same language, and much of the content will be totally non-understandable.
The same applies to comments, if one is to be strict.
- Better accessibility support (W3C WAI)
- Possibly some nice-looking icons for those of us that can see :-)
- Colour coding of content in different languages (using purely CSS)
- For future use, it could also be possible to filter entries by their language.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- More fields in the 'message editing' screen (and, for strictness, also the 'post comment' screen).
- Themes would probably require changes in order to support the required HTML attributes.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- Support for this should be optional, since most journals and communities are monolingual. However, for those that do use it, and for theme authors, there should be a way to place the HTML "lang" attribute around an entry (and, for strictness, around each comment as well).