My eyes! My eyes!
Short, concise description of the idea
V-chip my friends-list entries?
Full description of the idea
Love LJ. Love my friends list. I just wish there was an option that would block/encrypt certain language (and this is the important bit) ONLY AS IT APPEARS WHEN I'M LOGGED-IN AND READING IT ON MY FRIENDS-LIST.
If there was a way you could make a list of terms you didn't want to see and those could be isolated and blocked/encrypted, not the whole text, that would be FANTASTIC!
- 1. would not actually alter the writer's work, it would instead only slightly alter how an entry would appear to one person while they were logged on and reading their friends list
- 2. would allow people to avoid offensive terms without stepping on anybody's toes and getting the "whaddya mean you think I'm offensive" defensive response.
- 3. parents might find that an attractive feature.
- 4. amusement potential of what terms people would decide to block as "offensive".
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- I have no idea how difficult it would actually be to create a feature like that.
- Some people get a little precious about what they've written and don't want it altered in any way, even if it's not actually altered to the masses, just people who ELECT to have it (slightly) altered. However, I see it as discretion rather than censorship, as the feature I'm suggesting in no way impedes what an author is able to write, or how their work appears to others.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- I don't know if it's feasible at all or not. I just wanted to see what you guys thought about it. :)