Other Protocols for Links List
Short, concise description of the idea
I'd like to add things like "Send me an IM" to my list of links without having to edit my style.
Full description of the idea
I'm not sure whether this is an issue specific to the Component style, but whenever I list a link that doesn't use the http:// protocol (such as aim:) LiveJournal automatically converts the URL back to http. We should be able to list links that take advantage of other (safe) protocols. I'm aware that there's probably a way to do this by editing my style, yet I believe this should be a feature for all users (not just paying ones).
- Gives users more versatility with their links.
- Proposed feature consistent with links on the userinfo page.
- Security risks easily minimized (see below).
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- By limiting the permitted protocols to those used elsewhere on the site, there shouldn't be any security issues.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- I'll admit I don't know very much about how to implement this feature. It would be nice one to have, though!
- PS: If this is a style-specific issue, I apologize for suggesting it here.