Add lj-specific "spoiler" or "block text" tag
Short, concise description of the idea
Provide option to "hide" entry or comment text under spoiler tags.
Full description of the idea
Several online fora (particularly those enabled with vB tags) offer "spoiler" tags, which hide short phrases of text under black/colored bars. In order to read the hidden text, the user highlights the block and reveals the hidden text.
Given the significant portion of the userbase using LJ to discuss films, TV shows and other evolving media forms, this may be quite useful. LJ cuts can hide large blocks of text (for example, reviews of a recently aired TV show) but if that same large block refers to still less-well known information (spoilers about upcoming episodes of the same show) the LJ cut cannot distinguish between those pieces of information. And, obviously, cuts don't work in comments.
I think a simple "lj spoiler" tag would be received quite well by many people.
- allows the portion of the userbase who discuss "spoiler-intensive" subjects an additional means to hide information
- allows the option to hide text in comments
- provides consistent methods of hiding text across journals using many color schemes
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- It would provide only an incremental improvement over a current tag's functionality.
- Some readers will probably object to the appearance of entries featuring blocked text.
- There may be some intellectual property issues with developing a tag similar to the vB codes.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- Develop a tag which would hide selected text under large blocks.
- Call it the lj spoiler tag.
- Bask in the glow of elated users.