Provide option to restrict comment status modification in moderated communities to moderators only
Short, concise description of the idea
Provide an option for moderated communities so that only moderators can delete/freeze/screen comments to community entries.
Full description of the idea
Having just set up a moderated LiveJournal community, I was really surprised to find that while moderators and only moderators get to accept or reject entries to such a community, people who post an accepted entry are able to delete/freeze/(un)screen comments to that entry made by other LJ users. Granted, the moderators are also empowered to do so, but there is nothing to stop a "regular" user from wiping out a whole bunch of people's comments. To me, conversation in a community belongs to the community, not to the person who happens to have started the thread of conversation, and certainly not to the extent where they can selectively hide or terminate discussion. I think that there should be a community option which prevents the entry poster from affecting comments about an entry they make to a community in any way.
- Prevents individual users from selectively wiping out community contributions.
- Allows moderators, rather than individual users, to determine allowable community content.
- Prevents problem users from shutting down other community members.
- Prevents users from interfering with community stewardship by moderators.
- Encourages community participation by reassuring participants that all contributions are considered by the same "eyes," (i.e. those of the community's moderators), rather than by a revolving door of individual contributors.
- Brings treatment of comments in a moderated community more in-line with treatment of entries (only moderators can accept or reject entries).
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Shifts power/responsibility of controlling commentary from individual users to community moderators.
- Could lead to complaints of moderator abuse.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- One single community option in Settings, maybe called Comment Access, which reads as follows: Who can change the status of comments in this community? Entry Poster and Moderators - the entry poster and the moderator(s) of this community can screen/unscreen/freeze/delete comments to a community post. Moderators Only - Only the moderator(s) of this community can screen/unscreen/freeze/delete comments to a community post.