Improve handling of logged in user vs. username in comments
Short, concise description of the idea
It would be nice if the comment feature were more forgiving of browsers like Firefox, which tries to put my username in the text box.
Full description of the idea
When commenting, Firefox sees a username entry field, and fills it. If I enter the comment this way, LiveJournal rejects it, because I didn't choose the correct radio button.
So, every comment I make requires me to select my username, erase it, and then put the radio box back to Logged-In User.
Small changes to the way the code works would make it much easier to post.
- Eliminates unnecessary user action and confusion when posting.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Change to the From: entry field must be done carefully to ensure that the user's intent is always followed.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- Accept the radio button as authoritative, and ignore the extra input in the Username field.
- Only change the radio button state to LiveJournal User if actual user input (if typing can be distinguished from form-fill) causes the text fields to be non-blank. In this case, clearing the user name would not move the radio button.
- Provide an option for the user to affect the behavior of the comments box.