Allow community maintainers to make limited edits to community entries
Short, concise description of the idea
Currently, community maintainers can only delete entries, not edit them. I'd like to see the ability to make limited edits implemented.
Full description of the idea
Quite often, someone posts and entry to a community that causes problems (such as broken HTML) or general annoyance (such as multiple pictures not behind an LJ-cut). Community maintainers don't always want to delete these posts, but because they can't edit them, this is often the only thing that they can do.
I'd like to see community maintainers able to make only two specific types of edits:
1) Adding an LJ-cut. I'm not sure how LiveJournal would be able to distinguish the text of an LJ-cut from other added text, but if it's possible, this would be wonderful.
2) Increasing the level of security from public to friends-only. Again, I'm not sure how LiveJournal would distinguish between increasing and decreasing security.
If an edit is made to a post, there should be a note included afterwards like "edited by username time date".
- Community maintainers won't have to delete good entries that they have to delete now.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Beside the technical difficulty, I can't think of any big drawbacks, although I'm sure there are some. Perhaps maintainers being jerks and using offensive lj-cut text?
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- If it is implemented, the "edit" page would have to tell community maintainers that they can only add an lj-cut or their edit won't be saved, since you couldn't simply gray out the text box.