Width-only option for image placeholders
Short, concise description of the idea
In addition to the "all, medium, and large" options for placeholders, provide one or two options for image filtering by width only.
Full description of the idea
Wide images tend to mess up friends-page layouts, while tall images typically do not. Therefore it would be useful to be able to filter images above a certain width (perhaps 640 and 800) without regard to their height.
- Width-only placeholders would allow filtering only of images that interfere with friends-page layout, keeping tall but otherwise interesting images.
- Filtering using a fixed width would have no more impact on performance and server overhead than filtering by both width and height.
- Having 800 as an option would allow most webcomics through unfiltered (IMHO the biggest drawback to the current placeholder scheme).
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Since it's merely a more limited form of an already-existing optional feature, I can't think of any drawbacks besides the effort involved in coding it.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- This should be a fairly straightforward adaptation of the current placeholder system.