Change Zaire to DRC
Short, concise description of the idea
The proper name for the DRC is no longer Zaire.
Full description of the idea
In 1997, the dictator Mobutu Sese Seko was booted from power and sent off to die in exile of prostate cancer. He had renamed the country Zaire. Once he was gone, the country reverted to the Democratic Republic of the Congo, not to be confused with Republic of Congo across the river.
- LiveJournal's country list will match that of the most recent political maps.
- My journal references will match my userinfo.
- People doing searches who know the correct name of the country will hit on journals who use that name.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- People searching for Zaire won't find journals using a DRC reference.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- It seems like an easy change to me. You could also put it next to the other Congo, in alpha order, by using the following two entries: "Congo, Democratic Republic of" and "Congo, Republic of."