Short, concise description of the idea
Suppoting Wikipedia linking (like [[DNS]]) is nice for clarification of overly specific/technical posts.
Full description of the idea
Sometimes I write overly technical entries and most of my friends don't really see what I'm talking about but are curious about some of the details.
I've linked most of the technical terms in my last post and it seems to be helpful. I want to do that in an easier way, and I figure more people would appreciate it.
- overly technical posts can be more accessible;
- posters don't have to get into generic details if they don't want to;
- this will incentivate a more "researchive" attitude, avoiding hoaxes;
- wiki is the most open-source stuff you can get, so integration with it goes beautifully with LJ social contract.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- there's no way to discover broken links on Wikipedia before actually going there;
- some Wikipedians may not like it (this obviously doesn't include me);
- WikiMedia markup isn't any similar to LJ markup;
- if WikiMedia markup is chosen, this might affect previous posts unpredictably.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- I'd suggest something like <lj-wikipedia article="LiveJournal">LJ</lj-wikipedia> and <lj wikipedia="LiveJournal">...
- ...although I would enjoy much better if it used WikiMedia markup: [[LiveJournal|LJ]] and [[LiveJournal]].