Podcast Phone Posts
Short, concise description of the idea
'Podcast' paid user phone posts so people can subscribe to and automatically download them to media and MP3 players.
Full description of the idea
As 'podcasting' (AKA 'audio blogging' - being able to subscribe to RSS feeds and automatically download their audio content) has begun to take off in popularity and number, I believe Live Journal should turn their paid user Phone Posts into an excellent source of podcasts.
Check out http://www.ipodder.org for more information about this most fun form of 'audio blogging,' called podcasting.
- Join the internet community in supporting and enjoying 'podcasting' (audio blogging)
- Make the paid user accounts more attractive, as an excellent way to begin and maintain a podcast.
- Bring positive attention to the Live Journal service.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Bandwidth. A lot of readers downloading significantly sized files could be a strain.
- It's another issue really, but consider changing to AAC encoding, so the people who automatically put the files on iPods (I just listen on my computer - no iPods are required) will be able to listen to them.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- Add the single required ENCLOSURE tag per phone phone to the XML feeds, pointing to the audio file.
- Not required, but ideal (see above) - change to AAC encoding for phone posts.