'Address to your Journal' page
Short, concise description of the idea
'This is the web address of your LiveJournal' page.
Full description of the idea
- Canute-esque volume of users ask via Support 'what the address to their journal is' or 'what their link is' for insertion in AIM/AOL profiles, to give to friends et al. This page could be linked to in support requests and in the Quick Answers FAQ.
- The FAQ system uses text only; thus it's only possible to say 'exampleusername' when telling people what their URL is. If they're asking such a thing in first place then this too may confuse them.
- Encouraging it doesn't come into this so much as this situation already exists.
- Nice small easyish project for new/enthusiastic external developer volunteer maybe?
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Few I can see. It's academic that the URL is in the browser address bar (newer users may have it hidden or just not make connection). It is not relevant where users choose to use the link/whom they give it to etc - this 'feature' would just tell them their account name prefixed by appropriate URL path.
- The page would not provide support with external software e.g. "...and this is how you insert it in AIM"
- A less useful suggestion overrall now that a new FAQ exists about putting journals in online profiles?
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- Could only work if user was logged in. Since users who need this info don't seem to have a problem logging in to post entries, this is unlikely to be a problem.
- Would probably work better on a standalone page rather than user info page, to reduce clutter.
- The navbar could perhaps be amended to include link to this 'Address of Journal' page to make it more available to users.