Modified directory-search URL for "View Friends" userinfo link
Short, concise description of the idea
The "View Friends" link, for users with more than 500 people on their friends link, should point to a simple-output list sorted by username
Full description of the idea
For people with less than 500 friends, the userinfo page displays their friends list (a) separated by type (personal/community/syn feed), and (b) sorted by username, within the type.
For people with more than 500 friends, the userinfo page links to a directory search with minimal arguments -- http://www.livejournal.com/directory.bml?s_fro=1&fro_user=exampleusername -- which uses the default options for the directory. This means that the list is sorted by update time, which doesn't match the less-than-500 sorting order; it also means that all of the user pictures display with the usernames, which takes a very long time to load and doesn't really add all that much.
It would, I think, make more sense for the "View Friends" link to point to http://www.livejournal.com/directory.bml?s_fro=1&fro_user=exampleusername&opt_format=simple&opt_sort=user instead. This sorts the list by username and does not display the user pictures; as a result, the list is more useful, and takes less time to load.
- ...friends list is more useful, and takes less time to load :)
- The 500+ friends list bears more similarity to the 1-499 friends list
- People who want to see the friends list in simple format don't have to manually modify the URL (or modify their userinfo to include a link to that simplified directory search)
- It doesn't take that much code change (just tweaking the URL generated by userinfo.bml)
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- ...people who like the "View Friends" list the way it is now would have to manually modify the URL?
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- Edit the code of userinfo.bml to add the directory arguments to the URL that gets generated when there's more than 500 users.