Comment count in RSS
Short, concise description of the idea
Add a count="n" attribute to the /rss/channel/item/comments element of the journal RSS
Full description of the idea
Not sure I can elaborate much here.
- RSS client users gain the luxury of knowing how many comments are behind the "comments" link
- Poor programmers like me who use the RSS and some XSLT to embed their LJ into their own web site will know how many comments are behind the "comments" link.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Information will sometimes be inaccurate. Since RSS generated only after journal owner edits/posts a new entry, comment counts on freshest journal entries will not reflect current status. (At least it's better than nothing!)
- If someone's XSLT (or other RSS parser) is depending on the <comments> element not having any attributes, it might break their stylesheet. (I doubt this will be a problem)
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- This is a dirt simple feature to implement. You don't need my implementation advice.