Adding an option to receive syndicated posts as digests
Short, concise description of the idea
Users could choose to receive a single post from each of their syndicated-feed friends every 24 hours. These single posts would be the consolidated posts from those feeds. Yahoo groups already provide this option for e-mail; they call the consolidated posts 'digests.'
Full description of the idea
- Some syndicated posts, such as the BBC World News, send out short, extremely frequent posts.
- Consolidating these would free up space on users' flists for the rest of their friends' posts.
- It would also make it less likely that friends' posts would actually be seen amongst the feed posts.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Lots of syndicated digests don't produce posts very frequently. Consolidating these posts every 24 hours would be unnecessary.
- Users might not want their posts to be consolidated.
- Some digests produce quite long posts; if they were consolidated the result would be extremely lengthy and might take longer to load.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- This idea should be made an option, to allow for all of the issues listed in the problems section.
- Implementation could be based on the Yahoo groups' 'digest' option.