Improvements to comment preview page
Short, concise description of the idea
The comment preview window should display the options associated with the comment and permit the user to change them, as well as including a word count and the option to display more of the comment thread. Eventually, it should be S2-able.
Full description of the idea
Comment preview currently only displays the comment text and the spellcheck and "don't auto-format" checkboxes. Many users preview comments before deciding which userpic to use, or before logging in or choosing to post anonymously. The comment preview window should display the current userpic choice along with the text and should permit access to all the options listed on the mode=reply page. It should also display a word count so that the user knows how close the 4300-character limit is, and the option to display the prior one, two, or three comments in the thread where the comment is being posted. Down the road, it would be great to be able to see the comment and userpic in the S1 or S2 style in which they would be posted on the entry page, at which point the previewed comment could also be displayed appended to the thread for ease of reading in context.
- Userpic display reminds users to make sure they have chosen the right userpic to go with the comment.
- Being able to change options at any point permits users to write first and choose settings later, rather than forcing an order of operations.
- Word count helps people to approach the limit without going over it and then needing to edit back.
- Display of prior comments in the thread provides context, permits extended quoting, and reduces the likelihood of repeating what someone has already said.
- Display of comment and userpic in local style is less jarring than jumping out of the style for the preview and then back in.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- I can't think of any, since all this code already exists in one form or another.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- First, copy the current leave-a-comment code over to the preview-comment page.
- Then, display the word count (which is already tracked somehow).
- Next, bring in the thread-display code and enable tracking back up the thread.
- Finally, combine elements of the leave-a-comment page style and the entry page style to display the previewed comment the way it will appear.