Provide Ways to Disable Quick-Reply
Short, concise description of the idea
Provide a way to set LiveJournal view settings so that we never have to encounter Quick-Reply boxes when browsing S1-style journals. Additionally, provide a way for people whose journals use S1-style comment pages to prevent their comment pages from ever displaying Quick-Reply boxes to anyone, without them having to learn S2-style coding and re-code their entire journal's display settings in S2 format.
Full description of the idea
Additionally, I do not believe it is reasonable to expect all LiveJournal users who use the S1 style to learn S2 style and re-code their entire journal layout just to prevent other LiveJournal users browsing their journals from being continually subjected to this new Quick-Reply scheme where one has to click as many as five times (once on the "Reply to comment" link, once on the "More Options" button, once on the smiley-face to reveal the emoticon options, once on the "Preview" button to check spelling, and once on the final "Post" button) just to post one single comment. It is widely acknowledged that S2 is harder for inexperienced coders to learn than S1 is, and this is an issue that people who signed up for LiveJournal and/or paid for LiveJournal reasonably expected they would continue to have access to without having to learn S2 style.
- Users could go back to not having to click five separate times every time they want to post a comment.
- New users would be more aware of the existence of spell check and would be more likely to post comments that people can actually read.
- All users would have more options, and everybody likes having more options.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Since the code for not using Quick-Reply already exists, there would be virtually no labor required at all to just abolish Quick-Reply entirely. However, creating an option to simply disable Quick-Reply for some users upon request would require some amount of coding labor.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- Provide a checkbox on the "Set Browse Options" page (or elsewhere) to disable Quick-Reply boxes when viewing other people's S1-style journals.
- Provide a check box on the "Edit Userinfo" page to disable the use of Quick-Reply in your own S1-style journal.