Syndiated Journal's Account Type
Short, concise description of the idea
Change it from "Free Account" to "Syndicated Account"
Full description of the idea
Currently, if you view a syn-account's userinfo, it will display:
Account type: Free Account
I disagree with that. It's not free -- only paid and permanent members can create it. It certainly doesn't have the same features as a free account. Some differences off the top of my head:
a) they can't log in
b) they can't update using update.bml or other clients client
c) they can't comment on other entries
d) they can't convert their journal into a community
e) there's no overrides or styles
f) there's no personal information in their userinfo.bml
With that said, I think the differences between a standard "Free Account" and a syndication is quite different.
I suggest that they get their own "Account type" - called "Syndicated Account" or something along those lines.
- easier to determine if a user is syndicated or not
- less confusion as to what a free account's features are
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- http://www.livejournal.com/site/accounts.bml lists what free accounts offer. These syndicated free accounts have almost none of these features. Changing their user title would create a continuity and make these features less misleading for syn-ed accounts.
- http://www.livejournal.com/support/faqbrowse.bml?faqid=38 states that "All account types receive a basic set of benefits.", while these "Free Accounts" that are actually syndicated accounts don't.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- Create a new account type.
- Edit FAQs to display a chart of what all groups, syn included, are and their functionalities.