Allow syndicated content for account posts
Short, concise description of the idea
Allow an account to use a syndication feed for post content; to avoid multiple accounts just to post comments.
Full description of the idea
I have a blogger account and that's where I post my content. However a very large number of friends have LJs and post friends-only, so I eventually signed up for an account purely to read private comments and post my own comments. The logical thing was for LJ friends to want my content on their friends list. So, a syndication feed was created. So now friends have to add two different accounts for one person. Then to really cap it off, the feed source has changed and we accidentally created a new feed first and.......
An ordered list of benefits
- A user with a non-lj primary blog can be given one single account (instead of two accounts) to post comments and allow their journal to be added to LJ friends lists.
- Less accounts, less load on LJ.
- Less potential for feed problems requiring/resulting in even more accounts.
- Greater attraction for non-lj users to parcipate in the LJ community.
- LJ users only have to add one person to get their comments and their non-lj content. Much less hassle for them!
- Solves the problem of comments on syndicated content being lost/misdirected.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Would have to resolve LJ-native posts into the account vs. syndicated content.
- Highlights the need for greater control over syndicated content - ie. user would need to be able to manage the feed source etc.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- LJ already uses syndication to create friends lists; plus import external feeds; the trick would be to aggregate a feed into post content instead of aggregating into friends list posts.