Friends and Friend-of list sorting
Short, concise description of the idea
Allow people to sort friends and friend-of lists on their userinfo page however they choose.
Full description of the idea
The new "mutual friends" feature is pretty cool, but I think that the ideal solution to the issue is to simply allow people to sort and display their friends and friend-of lists any way they please. There could be a little applet such as the one that allows the creation of friend filter groups already (where you create a category, name it, and sort all journals as to whether they're in or not in that category). It shouldn't be too hard to implement, I think; and it allows for the highest degree of customization in people's userinfo pages. For example, I could sort my friend-of list by mutual friends, trolls who have friended me, and people who I don't consider trolls who have friended me (e.g. innocuous strangers). Then I could sort my friends (i.e., currently reading) list by people whose journals I read and I consider actual friends, and people whose journals I just find interesting, and then even sort communities by the ones that I'm also a member of and the ones that I just read.
An ordered list of benefits
- Allows users' userinfo pages to be more customized
- Could bring an end to, or seriously diminish, the problem of serial adders
- Can give third parties detailed information about the user's relation to all journals on their friend and friend-of lists at a glance
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Applet must be developed
- Could lead to people getting upset about which category a user placed them in
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
- Write applet
- Load applet
- Announce new feature in appropriate locations