Hiding "Interests", "Groups", and "User Pics" from non-friends and minors
Short, concise description of the idea
It would be good to be able to hide certain "Interests", "Groups", and "User Pics" associated with one's profile, in a similar manner to how individual posts can be protected.
Full description of the ideaAn ordered list of benefits
I appreciate what LJ has done in adding a filter when posting content, for it to be marked as "adult" (conceptual or explicit). I also like the fact that my posts can be "Friends-only" or even only visible to certain groups.
However, on the "Profile" page, it is possible to have Interests and Groups which someone may want to have hidden from non-friends, and also which may be inappropriate to show to those who don't want to (or shouldn't) see 'adult' content.
eg. various fetishes, issues concerning gender identification or sexuality, identifiable imagery, etc.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Users wouldn't need to hold back information related to their profile out of fear of people they don't want to see it doing so (=> increased use of site, popularity, etc., as users have increased confidence to share content).
- Minors would be less likely to run into offensive imagery viewing someone's user pics.
- Minors would be less likely to run into offensive interests or groups in profile pages.
- Consistent options for other user content as individual posts enjoy.
- Time to implement
- Relies on users (a) knowing about the feature, and (b) adjusting their interests/userpics/etc. if they want to take advantage of it.