Allow users to see only the friends page entries that the user has not yet read.
Short, concise description of the idea
Let users (most likely logged in so settings are stored) to have displayed to them only the new friends page entries (those which have not been displayed to that user yet).
Full description of the idea
Have a setting a logged-in user can set so that when he/she loads up his/her friends page, it will only display those entries which have not yet been displayed to that logged-in user.
An ordered list of benefits
- Less stress on the servers because only new entries would be pulled (not always pulling the most recent XX entries)
- Saves on bandwidth (for the same reason as above)
- Friends page loading time will decrease
- Users will easily be able to know that they have not yet read the entires that come up in this "new-only" friends page
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Is the configuration store in a cookie or on the server?
- Somebody has to code the feature, and I don't know how to do it :-)
- Continuously bugging the heck out of Brad and the rest of the LJ team with our little not-so-important requests
This may or may not be something which can be added to the "friends page filter" as suggested by thespian re: http://www.livejournal.com/talkread.bml?itemid=4563844