Allow people to hide entries on their friends page, for whatever reason
Short, concise description of the idea
Let people 'filter' posts that appear on their friends pages, so that they don't need to see them.
Full description of the idea
Useful when friends post the 15th 60-question survey about themselves, large or non-work-safe pictures, posts that for one reason or another you don't want to see again or, as I got to see this morning, the person who wrote posted 300 words unbroken by things like spaces or line breaks, causing every other post on my friends page to scroll for 4 virtual feet to the side until my friends are verbose enough to scroll it off for me.
An ordered list of benefits
- Would let people control their space a little more
- Could make friends space more useful
- Would let users save bandwidth (once you've seen your friend's pictures you don't need to keep looking)
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- Might be hard to keep track of; it would involve adding more to the db
- Depending on how many friends a person has, and how much they talk, it may not be used that much (some people might just decide to wait). But then, if you added the filter to communities as well, so it could be used as a general gag, it could be very useful as LJ grows
Could possibly by handled as a sort of reverse security level, or as a reverse lj-cut? Maybe you could still see that So-and-so has posted, just not the content, until you choose to unhide it again.