upvote/downvote system for commenting
Short, concise description of the idea
Implementing an upvote/downvoting system for comment threads in discussions, similar to what Reddit.com does.
Full description of the idea
I've been toying with this idea for a while now, mostly because a lot of my friends are leaving Livejournal for other sites. Implementing an "upvote/downvote" system for comments would help organize the comments in terms of popularity and usefulness to a discussion--a simple thumbs-up or thumbs-down for something that contributes or builds upon a discussion.
A great example of how this works, is what Reddit does with their upvote/downvote system; giving people more 'comment karma' for more upvotes. I think this will incite more enthusiasm for people who wish to comment, but at the same time it will definitely offer more quality to discussions and perhaps bring people back to this site. Of course, users should be allowed to enable/disable this feature when entries are private.
Other examples similar to my proposal: liking something on Facebook, favoriting something on Twitter, liking something on Tumblr, kudos on Archive of Our Own, etc.
- - Better organization for discussion threads
- - Gauges general popularity of a comment and/or idea in a particular topic of interest
- - Incentive for people to comment more and therefore make this site more active
- - Will make Livejournal a lot more comparable to the other social media platforms, as it is convenient for people who do not have the time to write a long comment to still show their support for an idea
- - That sweet, sweet comment karma...
- - Not entirely sure how this would work in threads that are not discussion based, such as fanfic or RP memes and entries. In this case, it would be up to the user's discretion to disable upvote/downvoting
- - Unpopular opinions may get "buried" under downvotes