Redirect .htm to .html
Short, concise description of the idea
When someone tries to load a .htm page, redirect to the .html equivalent.
Full description of the idea
Copying and pasting or typing an LJ link with .htm instead of .html is a relatively common mistake, and results in a Page Not Found error. Since LJ does not have any .htm pages that I know of, automatically intercepting all requests for .htm pages and sending them to .html should not mess up anything, and would make the site experience better for people who have bad links.
- Better site experience.
- Seems relatively low-effort/low energy.
- Less work for the error goat.
- I don't think that anyone deliberately uses the .htm links in order to foil spiders, but if they did, this would screw that up.
- Potential for new and exciting configuration errors!
- A little more work for the servers in the case of a wrong link.
- Treats people making neophyte errors kindly instead of mocking them with the results of their bad copy/paste.