Disabling other users from adding you without permission
Short, concise description of the idea
Create an option for users to disable the ability for other users to add them as a friend without permission.
Full description of the idea
It's pretty simple. On the Edit Profile page, there would be a checkbox or a drop-down menu (for example, like disabling virtual gifts). Users who do not want random people adding them as friends could choose the option to disable others from adding. In a way, it's similar to having a community that is closed to new members, only it is a personal journal that is closed to new readers.
Personally, I'm sick of all the random people who add me as a friend. Because I moderate communities, prospective members think they they need to add me to get into the community. Current members want to be my friend because I am the moderator. I often get added by Russian bots. I would just like to be able to disable others from adding me without my permission.
I think LiveJournal might benefit from a friend request system similar to popular social networking sites. I would love it if friend lists were dependent upon mutual consent from both users. I would prefer it if users had to request to be friends with me. Their ability to add indiscriminately reminds me more of subscribing to my content, but this is a journaling site and the content is more often than not personal and private.
Perhaps there could be a drop down box that allowed one to choose whether "Anyone can add me" versus "Users may request to add me".
- This could prevent spam bots from mass friend adding
- This could prevent the annoyance that comes when unwelcome strangers try to become friends.
- This would enable users who are content with their friends list to prevent future friend adds.
- Some users might feel rejected by other users.
- Some users probably don't care about who adds them as a friend and this would be an extra hassle.