Truncate large feeds rather than failing to update
Short, concise description of the idea
If a feed is larger than the size limit, just read the first however-many kb instead of failing to load.
Full description of the idea
This idea was originally suggested in 2007 (http://community.livejournal.com/suggestions/703890.html). The size limit on syndicated feeds was not increased, but the behavior was otherwise not changed. If a feed is too big, the feed does not update at all, but the error is not visible unless users specifically check the profile for that syndicated feed.
- When a site serves too-large RSS feeds, syndicated feeds are still updated as expected without requiring LJ to use too much bandwidth / storage.
- Avoids users missing updates to syndicated feeds.
- Fixes the problem without requiring coordination with other sites.
- Sites that serve too-large feeds by default probably should limit the size of their feeds.
- Trickier than just raising the limit (as per http://community.livejournal.com/suggestions/552195.html). (On the comments for the previous instance of this suggestion, aveleh suggests that the limit should be 512k to match FeedBurner, and I agree.)