Another vote for customizing the homepage
Short, concise description of the idea
Please either give us back the portal as default or render current the LJ homepage customizable, so that we can choose which communities/ journals we see posts from when we log in.
Full description of the idea
I am sure you have gotten plenty of requests for implementation of scripts or programs which would allow users to customize the LJ home page.
Recommending that the portal be used instead is a nice idea, and I'm glad to see you supporting the portal after abandoning it some years ago (your rationale then was "nobody's using it"). But users still have to look at the homepage after logging in, before going to the portal. Perhaps this could be made an option in our settings, we could check off a radio button whether we wanted to view the homepage or go directly to the portal.
Or, you could simply return the portal to the default position and make -it- the homepage. That might be easier on everybody.
- After logging in, one would be able to see posts from journals and communities that were of personal interest to them. Or none at all, if that's what they wanted.
- You would gain the respect of the many LJ users who really don't need for LJ to be like facebook and myspace, and who for whatever reason don't want to read something just because it is "popular".
- I -like- ONTD. However, I know it is consciousness-shrinking and cynical, and I don't want it smushed in my face first thing like some Milton Berle creme pie, I want it to be my choice to read it.
- You wouldn't lose money from the people who are planning to stop paying for LJ services.
- This is a web 2.0 thing: we the people want more control over what we see.
- I can't think of any, aside from the fact that it will take some time and focus to do it.