Keeping Screened Comments Screened When Replying
Short, concise description of the idea
Include an option for comments to remain screened even though they have been replied to. Alternatively, do not e-mail or otherwise notify people who are not the commenter or journal owner to maintain privacy of screened content.
Full description of the idea
While this is a re-post of http://community.livejournal.com/suggestions/999085.html?view=16380845#t16380845 I would like to have this here as an alternative suggestion because I've gone into a bit more detail below.
My First Suggestion
I use my LJ to post calls for Christmas cards/other correspondence. By default, all comments are screened on these posts, so that people feel safe leaving their addresses with me. I get a ton of traffic on these posts and that's a lot of addresses. Sometimes there are questions from them to me. Sometimes there are "Send me one!" comments from people who have neglected to choose an option (I have a few choices sometimes). Sometimes people leave their college addresses and forget that they're graduating and should be giving me a forwarding address instead. You know, things like that.
If I reply to the comment, then their comment gets unscreened, and here is the important part: it is e-mailed to anyone who has "Track This" and "send to e-mail" turned on. And if I forget this... then one of my friends' _HOME_ addresses gets leaked to any Tom, Dick, or Harry, who's decided to come by and track comments. I could send them a private LJ message, but some people have messaging turned off.
Therefore: I would REALLY appreciate being able to choose a ticky box that says, "Keep comment screened" when replying to these. ♥
As an alternative...
A post on suggestions here ( http://community.livejournal.com/suggestions/646027.html ) talks about the behaviour of "track this" with regards to unscreening screened comments. If my above suggestion is not viable from a programming standpoint, I'd like to suggest that replies to screened comments actually be sent only to the OP (journal owner) and the commenter.
- Maintain privacy for commenters (avoid e-mailing sensitive information)
- Remove one step for people who want to keep comments screened after replying to them.
- With the tickybox option, retain current unscreening behaviour for people who want to keep the old ways.
- Livejournal seems to be having server load issues lately, and this might increase server load. Would making this a paid feature reduce impact?
- I'm afraid I'm not qualified to address programming drawbacks, but http://community.livejournal.com/suggestions/646027.html seems to have some really detailed technical stuff. I'm not sure how much of that applies in this case, but I thought it should be included here for completeness's sake.