Short, concise description of the idea
Leaving a "footprint" of one's visit to a blog by a single click.
Full description of the idea
Some blog sites such as the Japanese Ameblo feature a special "footprint" (called "peta" in the site) that a person can leave on another's blog to show they've visited their page. The java-based footprint page features a picture (in many cases animated) as a button; clicking it will cause one's name and link to one's blog being added to the list of visitors. It's like a guestbook of a kind, but doesn't require typing! In many cases the picture button changes its theme regarding how many visitors has a blog had; for example in the beginning it might feature a hatching egg, and when one reaches a certain limit of visitors (for example 20 - an overall total, that is, not a daily total!) the picture changes into a flying bird and so on. A visitor can leave a footprint once a day.
- An easy to way to meet new friends
- Doesn't require one to add a blog to their friends list to show they're interested about the content of the blog
- Tracking visitors made fun
- Might attract even those without much to write to use the site more in order to leave footprints to their friends
- Encourages users to update more often to get more visitors
- More advertising space on the site
- Developing multiple themes for picture buttons might require extra work
- Might turn the site user's attention from diary-keeping to footprinting and create more empty journals
- Maintaining multiple time zones for the once-a-day system