Add ability to customize the Inbox view and notifications
Short, concise description of the idea
We should have the ability to change the way our LiveJournal Inbox appears - specifically, the number of messages displayed.
Full description of the idea
Now that almost all comment notifications are going through ESN, and are thusly displaying in the Inbox, it makes sense to perhaps try to embrace the system and use the Inbox as one's main form of viewing and replying to comment notifications.
However, this is impossible, especially for anyone who receives 20+ comment notifs a day. It's impossible to see what who is replying to what and when, and if you get more than 30 comment notifications, you've got several pages of Inbox to scroll through.
My idea is that we should be able to customize the Inbox, specifically to add the ability to see more than 15 items at a time. There should clearly be a maximum able to be displayed, but 15 is small, and doesn't work for a high volume user.
Additionally, the ESN contains the text of the comment, but no context. The email notifications contain whatever it is that the comment is in reply to, which makes following along with the conversation relatively easy. The ESN should also contain some context, even if it is just a snippet, to give some form of context. Perhaps this could be a setting for those who want it?
- More people would be able to embrace the Inbox and utilize it instead of emailed notifications.
- Makes Inbox notifications more useful in general.
- I'm assuming the limits that are there now (2000 items, view 15 at a time) are to conserve resources. This would obviously go directly against that.
- The expanded version of the ESN would also take up more space, which could lead to less than 2000 items being saved at a time in the Inbox.
- Using ESN as your primary notification system doesn't work if you receive a superton of notifications (more than 100 per day) and want to save your notifs.