Short, concise description of the idea
LJ needs to be able to add words to their own spellchecker's dictionary.
Full description of the idea
LJ's much-beloved (hahaha) spellcheck system needs a massive back-end overhaul. Above and beyond the ability for a single user to add custom words to the dictionary, LJ themselves (or a carefully-selected group such as Support Volunteer Entries admins) should have the power to add words to the dictionary, as the current spell-check solution's dictionary is not under LJ's control. This revisits the following historical suggestion: http://community.livejournal.com/suggestions/46966.html
- People using spell check and using such rare and difficult words as "LiveJournal" and "Obama" will no longer be baffled.
- Happy users.
- Dictionary that is not limited to words in common use during the Century of the Fruitbat.
- People unable to use browser-side spellchecking will be happy.
- May require a whole lot of back-end work for small front-end benefit.
- More difficult to maintain our own dictionary than have a third party do it for us.
- Would require a new process for adding new words = more leaky canoes.
- A whole lot of people use browser-side spellcheck anyway.